Description of EMDR for Fear of Public Speaking
In this video the client, a therapist, has a fear of public speaking. She would like to present publically, but she is very anxious and avoids situations where speaking would be required. She said that when she speaks, she can’t think, and has significant anticipatory anxiety that could be so severe it affected her sleep before scheduled events. Her goals for treatment were to be confident enough that “I can handle whatever happens so I can think.” She wanted to be able to speak publically and do presentations and also to see more couples without sleepless nights.
In the session the client using tactile stimulation pulsers for bilateral stimulation, installed resources. We then used the bridging technique to bridge from a recent example of her speaking anxiety to find a target from the past. After processing that target to completion and installing a positive cognition we returned to the incident we bridged from to check our work. She felt much better, but found another area that still had charge. We then bridged a second time to find another target from her childhood and processed that.
When that was complete, we again returned to the recent anxiety-producing situation to check our work. She felt much better in that situation, no distress. She then imagined future scenarios of speaking. These felt better, but new concerns came up that she hadn’t been aware of before. After exploring these, we decided to close the session with the understanding that these could be targeted in future sessions. At the end of the video I summarize the session and explain what I did and why.
- Recognize the installation of resources
- Apply the bridging technique to find targets linked to the presenting problem
- Outline use of the three-part protocol (past, present, future)
- Recognize when and how there can be multiple contributors and multiple targets linked to an issue or problem
- Explore the presenting problem, symptoms and triggers
- Create and install resources and metaphors for nurturing, wisdom and peace
- Establish a signal for stop and keep going
- Set up a bridge from a recent example of anxiety to find a target
- Develop the target using the modified protocol
- Refine the picture or scene
- Check the target
- Check the Subjective Units of Disturbance Scale (SUDS)
- Install a positive cognition (PC)
- Check the trigger scene that we bridged from
- Explore to see if there is another target to process
- Target the anticipatory anxiety directly (without a bridge)
- Check the trigger scene again and the SUDS
- Bridge back from new feelings and beliefs
- Recognize the negative cognition
- Begin bilateral stimulation
- Focus on the body
- Check the SUDS
- Process the trigger scene with positive cognition
- Check the original scene
- Check the imagined future scenarios for change
- Closing and debriefing
Counselors, Social Workers, Psychologists, Case Managers, Therapists, Addiction Counselors, Marriage & Family Therapists, Other Mental Health Professionals
Readmore about: Laurel ParnellShare Tool - Group Buy Tools and Premium WordPress From $1
When will I receive my course?
You will receive a link to download your course immediately or within 1 to 21 days. It depends on the product you buy, so please read the short description of the product carefully before making a purchase.
How is my course delivered?
We share courses through Google Drive, so once your order is complete, you’ll receive an invitation to view the course in your email.
To avoid any delay in delivery, please provide an Gmail and enter your email address correctly in the Checkout Page.
In case you submit a wrong email address, please contact us to resend the course to the correct email.
How do I check status of my order?
Please log in to TheDLCourse account then go to Order Page. You will find all your orders includes number, date, status and total price.
If the status is Processing: Your course is being uploaded. Please be patient and wait for us to complete your order. If your order has multiple courses and one of them has not been updated with the download link, the status of the order is also Processing.
If the status is Completed: Your course is ready for immediate download. Click “VIEW” to view details and download the course.
Where can I find my course?
Once your order is complete, a link to download the course will automatically be sent to your email.
You can also get the download link by logging into your TheDLCourse account then going to Downloads Page.